Monday, August 24, 2009

What is Dirtbagging

What is Dirtbagging Dirtbagging is stripping camping or backpacking on the essentials: fun and adventure. Few things in an old package, and get off there. It is not necessary that all the expensive equipment, camping and backpacking. Leave extra clothes behind, sleep in a pile of leaves or by the fire. Dirtbagging simple and keeps the mind instead of your wallet.Recipe For Dirtbagging TripTake an old inflated rubber tube, a bivy sack of garbage bags and some snacks. Put them in a heartbeat to daypack, a bus, a river, wild strawberries and a thunderstorm or two. Mix well and enjoy.This especially dirtbagging trip was a swimmer, the Boardman River in Michigan. I took the bus in the city, and the driver had fallen on me the other side of the road, where the river below. The water is shallow, but fast here. The sun shone, as a step in the cold current.I had a few warm things to wear, instead of in bed with a sleeping bag. I have a small roof to use the river and over my head at night. Overall, I have maybe 10 kilos in the package on my lap as I floated the river sitting in the pipe, with my ass and my foot in cold water. I had to navigate usking my hands as paddles.The trout are everywhere, and the finishing of the deer were back from the shore in front of me. Blue Heron is hunting for fish in the shallows. A beaver tail beat against the water when I saw. I floated for hours, the view alteaing between the desert and small collections of Nice was homes.I using only electricity. It 'been very relaxing, and even the element of unpredictability and thus adventure.There were wild strawberries at each station, and if I have more for the night, I feasted on them until the rain came. It 'rained all night, but I stayed dry in my garbage bag bivy sack (my dirtbagging protection), with a small roof over my head. A large white-tailed deer attention to me in the middle of the night, and scared me half to death with his Snorting. In the moing it was still raining.It was not just rain, it was a bad storm. One thing about a bivy sack is that you do not have enough space to entertain themselves. So, storm or not, it was time to move. I bundle my few things in it the cold river, and sat in tube.I driven with beautiful houses, sitting in a heavy sweater, with my umbrella over my head. The moing came too late, because before the storm. People looked at me from the cafe to see at a glance. I waved and floated on.Closer at home, I had a great time dug through knee deep mud in a portage around a dam. E 'was almost like quicksand. I have my way, and a way through the rain forest along the River. At noon I was at home and ask if it is still too early for a beer. This is dirtbagging.Steve Gillman has been hiking, mountain biking, floating and adventuring in general for decades. For most of his stories and advice outside, you can

No comments:

Post a Comment